Thursday, April 30, 2009

Monogram Onesie Tutorial

Do you remember these onesies? Kim's Baby Shower 029  I came up with the idea to do the monogrammed onesie after making these t-shirts last 4th of July for my son & I.

I started by printing off my initial in a font I liked. Then I placed the printed initial under the freezer paper and traced. The freezer paper is a bit translucent so you can easily see to trace your pattern. 
IMG_4779Next I cut out the K using an X-Acto knife. I cut the circle out using my circle cutter.

IMG_4781 

Next, I ironed on the freezer paper to the onesie. Make sure you empty the water reservoir and iron the shiny side of the freezer paper down. Be sure to place a piece of cardboard inside the onesie to prevent bleeding. I used a sponge brush to paint. I did two coats to get into the ribbing. IMG_4782

Once the paint dries, remove the freezer paper and you have a custom monogrammed shirt! IMG_4786

The shirt I made for my son last year really held up to washings. I turned it inside out and washed it in cold. When picking out a shirt or onesie for this project, be sure to get one with fine ribbing. When the shirt stretches, it can distort the image some. I think these would be fun to do for kid pictures or a birthday child! Really, you could do so many different patterns/designs!

7 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea!!
    And thanks for the washing tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I can't believe it was that easy! It looks totally professional. You have the best ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Another great idea that I will ABSOLUTELY be trying out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we might need to be new bloggy friends -
    a)we both have wee ones
    b)we both make custom onesies (I used transfer paper though, but I love the paint even better)
    c)we both coupon
    d)we both love a good yardsale (though I'm really into a good curbside treasure!)

    Nice to meet you - I'm visiting from the Pettijohns :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait! One more similarity I found...we both own necklaces by Lisa Leonard that our hubs gave us. He he he :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are to cute. How did you make the one with the bird and the blue one with the flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you beautiful readers! Leave some love!