Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Prep Time

I am hosting a small Thanksgiving in my small house... it will just be my parents, grandpa, hubby, and the tot. I know most are thinking, "Small and easy!" BUT, I just can't leave it at simple & easy... I just keep piling on the work... because, of course, everything should be made from scratch and we should have everything required of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I've hosted before but I didn't have a tot to entertain while trying to accomplish it all. Oh, did I mention that the hubby will be working so I have to do everything with a tot clinging to my jean clad legs? Yeah, that oughtta be fun... I just willingly volunteer myself for these situations.

I have been trying to figure out a Thanksgiving Plan... very unsuccessfully. Guess it'll just somehow come together. Here's my plan so far...

Monday: Wash china, good silver wear, crystal pitchers, turkey platter, etc. Press cloth napkins.
(I've now decided to use my everyday dishes... that way I can just stick them in the dishwasher. Guess I'll take the easy way out... I kind of like my everyday dishes better than my china anyway.)
Tuesday: Get turkey out to thaw. Go to grocery store and get stressed out by all the crowds and the grocery store will probably be out of everything I need.
Wednesday: Run around the house in mismatched clothing (actually, I'll probably just wear pajamas all day) carrying a broom trying to figure out what I should be doing.
Thursday: Do everything (whatever that entails), entertain a toddler, watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, freak out, send hubby to Walgreen's three times (the only local place open on Thanksgiving), a few tears will be shed.

As you can see, my plan stinks! It's nothing like all these fancy and organized plans I keep seeing on everyone's blog. Like, I seriously should be deep cleaning my house or something instead of typing a blog. What's wrong with me!?!

Okay, so here's a recipe to share too. I decided to make my granny's Au Gratin Potato Casserole instead of mashed potatoes. Yes, I am a rebel. I just thought this would be easy because I can make them ahead of time and then just have to bake them on Thanksgiving. I made two of these yesterday - 1 for our church Thanksgiving and one for Thanksgiving.

Au Gratin Potato Casserole

1 - 32 oz. package Southern style hash browns, slightly thawed
1 -16 oz. sour cream (I use light)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup (I try to use the healthier version)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 ts pepper
2 cups crushed cornflakes
1/4 cup melted butter

Stir the first 6 ingredients together in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with cornflakes and then drizzle with butter. Bake at 325 for 1 hour 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you beautiful readers! Leave some love!