Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday Favorite: Martha + Key Lime Bars Recipe

My mom bought me Martha Stewart’s Cookies cookbook for Christmas this year. I Love this book with a capital L. I wasn’t crazy about the 1st recipe I tried (Chocolate Sugar Cookies), but I just love to flip through the book looking at all the yummy recipes. So many to choose from!!!marthastewartcookies

I may have mentioned that I made Key lime bars for our church dessert auction. I love Key lime – one of my favorites is Cheesecake Factory’s Key Lime Cheesecake. Oh, yum! Heaven by the slice!

This recipe is pretty straight forward and simple – except for squeezing 23 key limes. That was a bit time consuming, but worth it in the end.

IMG_4753

Key Lime Bars

Ingredients
For the Crust:

1 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons finely ground graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

For the Filling:

3 large egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (like Eagle Brand)
2/3 cup fresh Key lime juice (about 23 key limes total)

For the Garnish:

1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Key limes, thinly sliced into half-moons

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350. Make crust by stirring together the crust ingredients in a small bowl. Press evenly into the bottom of an 8” square glass baking dish. Bake until dry and golden brown, about ten minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.

2. Make filling: Put egg yolks and lime zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix on high speed until very thick, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add condensed milk in a slow, steady stream, mixing constantly. Raise speed to high; mix until thick, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add lime juice; mix until just combined.

3. Spread filling evenly over crust using a spatula. Bake about 10 minutes or just until filling is set, rotating halfway through, Let cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

4. Make garnish: cut into 2 inch squares. Put cream in clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the clean whisk attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. (I added some sugar here to make the whipped cream sweet.) Garnish bars with whipped cream and a slice of lime. Ungarnished bars can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days.

IMG_4720 IMG_4719

Here my guys are crushing the graham crackers for me. Such helpful guys I have!

My laptop is going to visit the Dr. today... I don't know when we'll be reunited but hopefully, it wlil be a happier computer. So, I'll be behind on my blog reading and commenting. Boo! Guess I'll get a lot done while it's gone...

3 comments:

  1. i can't even imagine juicing that many limes! bless you! i've heard they make key lime concentrate but i've never seen it sold anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yummy! They are so pretty too! My husband bought me a Martha Stewart cookbook several years ago for Christmas and I love to read it and get new recipes out of it. Looks like you had great helpers as well!

    Hugs,
    ~Victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may know this but...to make juicing limes, lemons, etc easier stick them in the microwave for 15 seconds or so...just enough to get them a little warm. This will not only make them easier to squeeze, but also yeilds more juice out of the fruit.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you beautiful readers! Leave some love!