I decided to attempt a hand-made gift for each shower (along with a purchased gift from their registries just in case). My "initial" idea (get it?) was to paint the initial of the child to match their nursery and attach a ribbon or something to hang it. After painting the two letters, they didn't have the pizazz... so I added polka dots to the green one to match the bedding.
And it still wasn't enough... so I had these wooden monkey accents from Hobby Lobby (the bedding has monkeys on it). I painted a canvas khaki and then masked the edges with masking tape and painted the center white. I was originally going to leave it completely khaki, but the monkey and C didn't show up very well, so I decided to paint white in the center.
Then I got my hot glue gun really, really hot and glued it all together. I was/am a little worried that the glue won't hold well. I did flip the canvas upside down after adhering the C and stacked photo albums on it to get a good hold.
The second nursery is going to be Crimson & Cream for the University of Oklahoma... This one is a little more plain, but I think it is still cute.
If anyone has comments on the glue I should have used, please comment! I'd like to know if there is a better option. I'm learning as I go on these craft projects!