Tuesday, January 20, 2009

South of the Border Casserole

This is a recipe I ran across today when looking for a new recipe for ground beef. I found it on Delicious Meliscious. It was so easy and delicious! Everyone gave it the thumbs up... I'll be adding this to my recipe book to use again! I totally meant to take pictures of the casserole and forgot! We were in such a hurry to eat this up!

South of the Border Casserole

Ingredients
1 pound of lean ground beef (I used 3/4 beef, 1/4 pork sausage)
1 mild jalapeno, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
28 oz can tomatoes (I used two 14.5 oz cans - both were crushed tomatoes and one had peppers in it)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 cups fat free sour cream
8 oz. penne, ziti or any small pasta (I used whole wheat penne & elbows)
1 cup cheddar cheese (I used low fat mexian cheese)
1/4 cup cilantro, minced (I left this out)

Directions
In a deep skillet, brown meat, drain fat, if neccessary. Add the peppers, onion and garlic, and cook on medium-high heat. Saute until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin.

Add the can of tomatoes, breaking up the whole tomatoes with a spoon, but sitll leaving big chunks. Add sour cream, stir until mixed. Add pasta. Cover and cook until pasta is al dente, about 25 minutes. Make sure to stir frequently so pasta doesn't get stuck to the bottom. Serve with the cheese and cilantro sprinkled on top. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you beautiful readers! Leave some love!